Re: help scheme TAB strings music-function

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: help scheme TAB strings music-function
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:08:10 +0100

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Robby R <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've simplified my original code a little, changed (list?) to (markup-list?) and
> can maybe ask some slightly more intelligent questions.  My goal is a function
> to print string names next to TAB and eventually set a string tuning, something
> along the lines of :
>
>          \setStrTuningCLEF #'("Banjo" ( D B G D g ))
>          or
>          \setStrTuningCLEF #'("Fiddle" ( D A D D ))
>
> except I probably have the method of entering 'args' all wrong.

This is a complete incoherent mess.  First you need to decide what kind
of argument \setStrTuningCLEF should actually receive.  Then its
arguments need to be both declared and used according to that decision.

This is true but a bit harsh! I believe Robby was there showing intuitive examples of how he wanted to eventually use his function, but later in the email had an example of his current attempt to go part way towards that goal. The partial attempt was only taking one argument, but I think the ultimate goal is supposed to take two? As a newbie he also might not know how to pass two arguments except by putting them together in an "incoherent" heterogeneous list. (Hint, you can do ``\setStrTuningCLEF #"Fiddle" #'(D A D D)''. Consider reading the documentation about Music Functions in the Extending manual.)