Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:04:18 +0200

Dear fellow-users,

I'm working on a vocal piece in which some lyrics are in parentheses, but
the opening parentheses don't appear in the output PDF file. The closing
parentheses are fine. By way of example, here's a couple of bars from the
piece:

================

\version "2.14.2"

\relative c'

<<
\new Voice = "melody" {
  \time 12/8
  fis2.( f |
  a4.) a4 g8 g4 f8 f4. |
}
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
  blue __ (oo -- by -- doo -- by -- doo)
}

I have looked but haven't succeeded in finding a reference to this in the
documentation or on the forum, but at this stage I don't feel confident in
reporting it as a bug. Any advice would be appreciated. Apologies, as usual,
if I've missed an existing solution or explanation.

BTW, I know that I can solve the problem with a work-around, e.g. enclosing
the syllable concerned in quotes as "(oo" produces the correct result, but
it's not a very elegant solution, especially for repeated instances.

Cheers,

Philip