Transposing instruments

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Transposing instruments
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:39:55 +0200

I am transcribing an autograph with an arrangement for a small orchestra. There are two transposing instruments: Clarinet in B and French horn in F. The piece itself is set in g minor (some parts also in g major).

The original score begins with this picture:

oboe = \relative c'' { \key g \minor d16 d8. ~ d4 }
clarinetB = \relative c'' { c16 c8. ~ c4 }
hornF = \relative c'' { d16 d8. ~ d4 }

\score { <<
  \new Staff { \oboe }
  \new Staff { \clarinetB }
  \new Staff { \hornF }

  \layout {}
  \midi {}
}

besides some other voices. I know the name "Clarinet in B" but honestly I don't know what this means. Which pitches should I get from these notes? How can I set this with Lilypond so that I can also create a MIDI file with correct pitches? I would like to have the MIDI file for acoustic error check of my transcription.

How can I use \transpose and \transposition to get both a nice looking PDF output and a useful MIDI file? I assume that the music definition will include the \key g \minor for all voices and the transpose will change it and removes the flats. But I didn't get it in the last hours.

Regards
Helge