Re: Appreciation / Financial support

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Appreciation / Financial support
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:18:02 +0200

Am 2012-05-30 um 21:09 schrieb Marc Hohl:

Lua does not have such a large user base.  More like a fan base.
Python, in contrast, is solidly mainstream.

I dream of a chimera of LuaTeX and LilyPond, that would be ideal for my not-only-musical typesetting needs...
+1

(Well I know: patches were thoughtfully considered)

Despite the fact that lilypond-book is available, I try to include all textual information in my .ly files. if only the line breaking algorithm of TeX were available as a library ... ;-)

Not only the line breaking - e.g. LuaTeX has the best OpenType support of *all* programs, due to the OrientalTeX project (that enabled LuaTeX/ ConTeXt to do Qur’an typography, see e.g. http://river-valley.tv/oriental-tex-culturally-authentic-typesetting-of-the-quran/ = http://tug.org/TUGboat/tb31-2/tb98hamid.pdf). You can’t do the same with any other layout/typesetting program, as far as I understand.

I don’t believe a "LilyLuaTeX" (let’s call it "quacking at the moon" ;-) will ever see the light of day (or night), even if I see big potential in an integrated typesetting system. I guess there’s some duplicate functionality (e.g. font handling and algorithms for "beauty") that could profit from synergies. Like ConTeXt can take XML or something like Markdown as a simplified/specialized input syntax, that beast could even be made to process MusicXML as an alternative to native LP syntax.

ConTeXt MkIV is mostly switching TeX programming by Lua programming, and thus the code becomes much more readable and much more details become controllable by user code. I guess that’s similar to Karsten’s way of moving more of LilyPond’s code to Scheme.

I can’t tell if the functional aspect of Scheme gives so much advantage over the steep learning curve. I myself love Python but can see why it’s a bad choice for an application scripting language; I see what Lua does for TeX, even if I can’t and won’t use most of the cool new shiny stuff, like I won’t ever need much of LilyPond’s great features and scriptability.

But I guess my quacking is void, since I can’t help that happen, both my abilities and my time are too limited. But we are allowed to dream, aren’t we? ;-)

Greetlings, Hraban