Re: How to cancel voice so ties are right direction

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: How to cancel voice so ties are right direction
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 18:55:45 +0200

Am 26.05.2012 18:23, schrieb Jeff Barnes:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. David Kastrup wrote:

\relative c' takes a music expression as an argument, and in this case,
the argument is the parallel music<<  ...>>.

Interesting. Does \voiceXXX take a music expression too? If so, can I set the
bounds of the expression with {}?

I don't see that you have a "wrong" tie direction.  Take all the
parallel music out, and LilyPond will choose the same tie.  If you want
to flip it up explicitly, probably the easiest way is writing ^~ instead
of ~.
I've found a general need to add \xxxNeutral after using \voices to get stems, ties,
tuplets, etc to line up "correctly"
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/learning/within_002dstaff-objects). It's not
clear to me what the bounds of \voiceXXX are.
\voiceXXX is a switch that changes several direction properties (UP/DOWN) and the behaviour of horizontal shifts.
It doesn't take an expression after it, so no boundaries.
If you use \voiceXXX and want everything 'neutral' at some point afterwards then what you're looking for might be \oneVoice.

So:
\new Voice {
  \voiceOne % Everything that follows now is "voice One"
  \voiceTwo % Everything is "voice Two" from now on
\oneVoice % Everything is now in a neutral state (i.e. only one voice without having to deal with other voices)

What might be irritating is how voices are managed with the different syntax options, and how this effects the music after the polyphonic section.
But I think this is explained in Phil's link

HTH
Urs

If expression boundaries impact the state of the parser, it seems Lily is
adding a burden to the user by forcing the user to manage expression boundaries
without a consistent way to define the boundaries. At least, that's the
objection that's inside my noob head, anyway. Also, trying to fix the tie
problem sent me through the path of adding all sorts of things to the music
that made reading it more difficult.

I looked at the grammar at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/lilypond-grammar. Where is
\voiceXXX defined?