Re: Beaming regression 2.15.39 compared to 2.14.2

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Beaming regression 2.15.39 compared to 2.14.2
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 01:40:34 +0100

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 05:13:55PM +1000, Nick Payne wrote:
> In 2.14.2, the output for the second bar beams all five eighth notes
> together, as I would expect. In 2.15.39, the first eighth note is
> not beamed with the others:
>
> \relative c'' {
>     \time 3/4
>     c8 c c c c c
>     r c c c c c
> }

Hi Nick,

Thanks for reporting this unexpected behaviour and for stimulating
some useful discussion. It seems that:

Default beaming for this case changed from 2.14.2 to 2.15.39.

A workaround has been provided to restore the previous behaviour.

Graham, as project manager, has confirmed this should not be classed as a
regression.

Phil Holmes has identified the change to beaming that is most likely
responsible.

which is titled "beaming in 3/4 - a setting to not beam 3 eights
against the beat" so it looks like the design is not clear.

There is an existing, open tracker for beaming in 3/4:

I'm creating a tracker so that someone can take up the task of
designing this feature.

Colin.

--

Colin Hall