Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Video recording of LilyPond talk at Chemnitz
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 20:46:00 +0200

Let me first tell you that a _separate_ and unannounced mail copy of
something _also_ sent to a mailing list is considered quite rude since
it more often than not forces the recipient to answer the same mail
twice.

I'll not repeat the points I made in private communication, but for the
sake of other readers, I'll answer your probably worst misconception
here as well because it is actually wide-spread.

Jeff Barnes <address@hidden> writes:

>> It tends to feel like the classical case of "Somebody Else's Problem",
>> and I am somewhat at a loss of how to deal with that without getting
>> cynical to a degree that those who do support me don't deserve.
>
> Man, I feel ya.
>
> I started playing around with LilyPond recently. I like it. As someone
> who uses a lot of open source software, though, only a few projects
> have won a donation of my hard-earned bucks. I don't want to
> discourage you, but I think depending on individual users to support
> you is not going to work out the way you want. If this upsets you,
> read the GPL again.

Please read
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney>.

And after that, read the GPL "again".