Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 19:12:32 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Colin Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
> How about Urs, Susan, you and I collaborating on a one-page score
> via github as a way of confirming our understanding, and demonstrating
> how it can be done? Even a few staves would be enough to confirm a suitable
> workflow.

Good idea!  I suggest to choose a piece with two independent staves,
though; otherwise collisions during work will happen all the time and
won't reflect real workflow that much.

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> This experiment could well also serve as a pre-test for a larger idea that I
> have in mind (maybe for 2013): I would like to do a 'public experiment' on
> how fast and efficient we can collaboratively produce a large score - thanks
> to the text based approach.

cool! :D

> I'd like to do this as a proof-of-concept
> project to promote some of LilyPond's qualities to a wider target group ...
> Imagine a large symponic movement (or possibly something oratoric) from the
> end of the 19th century (so it's in the public domain) of 10 minutes.

I suggest something simpler notation-wise, perhaps from an earlier
period - Bach, Haendel?
If we choose a piece without "markings" (dynamics, articulations,
fingerings etc) it will require significantly less tweaking, and i
think that LilyPond shows her potential best when there's just music
in the ly files (-> things won't break when a different paper size or
transposition is requested).
Consider the Credo example i've published in previous LilyPond Report:
http://news.lilynet.net/IMG/pdf/Coronation_Mass_-_Credo_2-15-33_marked.pdf
Getting something like this to publication quality would require a lot
of work (yeah, all colored places should be fixed).
OTOH, Haendel's Dixit Dominus
(http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/3/35/IMSLP13037-232dixit.pdf)
contains only notes, ties and lyrics.  It would probably be almost
perfect out-of-the-box.

> If we'd have 20 contributors, each dealing with one or two parts, it should
> grow very speedily, documented through daily builds. Maybe we could even
> find something that we can produce as a first edition, which would give us
> quite some attention in the scholarly world of music edition (furthermore:
> this _could_ generate money for the development of Lilypond

I suggest to use a KickStarter-based approach: if the initial project
proves that we can produce such scores effectively, create a project
on kickstarter.com.
Really, to me this seems a perfect way:
- we get the money *before* doing the work
- we don't have to bother with maintaining licenses, royalties etc
- the result of out work can be released free (this will make people
more enthusiastic)

If you haven't seen Open Goldberg Variations project yet, see here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293573191/open-goldberg-variations-setting-bach-free?ref=live

the situation becomes more and more interesting :)

best wishes,
Janek