Ugly default note spacing in single staff polyphony

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Ugly default note spacing in single staff polyphony
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:48:10 +1000

In the following, to look correctly positioned, the final A in the bar needs to be moved slightly to the right relative to the notes in the other voice each side of it. I tried moving the note to the right using \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift, but that didn't move the note. What can I use? I think it needs to go about half a staff space to the right, without increasing the spacing between the C notes in the other voice.

\version "2.15.39"

\relative c'' {
    \time 3/4
<<
        { r8 c4 c c8 r c4 c c8 }
        \\
{ a,4 a' a' a,, a' \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #0.5 a' }

}

Nick