Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 16:41:22 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Susan Dittmar <address@hidden> wrote:
> One thing you will have to think about is check-in policy though. I
> personally like to check in very often, but that means the checked in
> version might not compile, let alone be in a state acceptable to use.
> I guess for truely collaborative work you will want to reduce official
> check-ins to working versions. This can be combined with my "check in
> often" wish by using branches: Work in your personal branch (and check in
> there as often as you want) until you are content with the results, and
> when an acceptable state of your work has been reached (compiles fine, and
> conforms to all the criterions you defined for an official checkin), merge
> your changes back to the main branch.

While i haven't used any VCS other than git, i've read and heard a bit
about SVN, and it seems to me that the problems with check-ins you
describe are consequences of SVN's design (i.e. the fact that it's a
centralized system).  From what i know, git doesn't have any of these
problems; i'm happily committing even one-line non-compiling changes,
have up to dozen branches around and everything works smoothly.  It
required some thinking at the beginning, but it was worth it in my
opinion :)

cheers,
Janek