\partial and \unfoldRepeats

From: Christopher Webster
Subject: \partial and \unfoldRepeats
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 12:50:14 +0200

The intention of the input below was to produce a PDF with normal repeat notation plus a MIDI file in which the repeat was expanded explicitly.

\version "2.14.1"

dots =
    \relative c'
    {
        \partial 8 c'8
        c8 c c c
        c4 r8
    }

\book
{
    \score
    {
        \new Staff
        {
            \time 2/4
            \repeat volta 2 \dots

\book
{
    \score
    {
        \unfoldRepeats
        {
            \new Staff
            {
                \time 2/4
                \repeat volta 2 \dots
        \midi { }

The upbeat is handled perfectly by the \partial construct for the PDF output, but provokes a warning in conjunction with the MIDI output, presumably as a result of the \unfoldRepeats:

GNU LilyPond 2.14.1
Processing `temp1.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `temp1.ps'...
Converting to `./temp1.pdf'...
Interpreting music...
temp1.ly:6:16: warning: trying to use \partial after the start of a piece

                \partial 8 c'8
MIDI output to `temp1-1.midi'...
success: Compilation successfully completed

I can fix this by replacing \partial 8 with \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment 3 8), though it seems I then also have to add \set Score.currentBarNumber = #0 to  make the bar (measure) numbers come out as expected.

Is that the recommendation, or have I missed an opportunity to do something more elegant?

Thanks in advance

            Christopher.