Re: Testimonial

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Testimonial
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:22:56 +0200

Tim Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

> It's interesting how much a few little clues can help simplify
> things.  I'm arranging a number of pieces for clarinet quartet.  I had
> been using relative brute force, using separate blocks for the parts,
> using external scripts to generate separate PDF files, etc.  The code
> was ugly and, as a professional programmer, I hated it.
>
> After watching this list for a while, I learned enough hints about
> \parallelMusic and tags and \bookpart to redo things, and suddenly my
> Lilypond files are self-contained, workable, and readable.  I can
> actually find the notes I need to change, instead of wading through a
> big, complicated block.

As long as you are not using external scripts for creating your actual
source file, configuring your PDF viewer for point-and-click
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/usage/point-and-click>
should do wonders for that.

> I still lose track of the relative octaves while I'm doing data entry,
> but that problem is unlikely to be solved through technology...

You mean like

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/changing-multiple-pitches#octave-checks>?

If you use them routinely every few measures, this limits the compass of
followup errors.

> My compliments to the long-timers on this list for your patience.

[Checking] Oh.  We are on the general list rather than the developers'.
That explains it.

All the best,

--
David Kastrup