Re: Installing LilyPond fonts for use in programs under Windows 7

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: Re: Installing LilyPond fonts for use in programs under Windows 7
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 09:23:31 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

><address@hidden> wrote:

>> And by the way, what is the relationship between Feta and Emmentaler?

Han-Wen
Nienhuys replied:

>feta was the original Type1 font.  Since Type1 fonts can only hold 256
>entries, we had several of
them.  Later we unified them into
>Emmentaler ("a big cheese") which has all the glyphs in a single font.

Nice! --
especially since "feta" cheese has been a protected designation of origin
product in the European Union since 2002,
whereas the name "Emmentaler" is not protected and thus available for any
cheesemaker to use. The metaphor can easily
get stretched too far, though: Emmentaler cheese is characteristically full of
holes ...

Suggestion: The documentation
led me to be confused as to the font name. For example, in the Notation
Reference (v.2.14.2), section A.7 (page 575),
one finds:

"A.7  The Feta font
The following symbols are available in the Emmentaler font ..."

Not exactly a top
priority matter, but at some stage the terminology might be worth clarifying.

Philip