Re: Swung eighths syntax?

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Swung eighths syntax?
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 08:56:46 -0500

On May 6, 2012, at 3:40 PM, Corbin Simpson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project (github.com/mostawesomedude/lye) where one of the
> main formats is a strict subset of Lilypond syntax. I want to introduce swung
> eighths, but don't know what syntax Lilypond plans to adopt for it. What's
> the expected syntax going to look like? Should I just roll my own?

The problem is that there is no accurate standard notation for the swing feel.
There are various attempts to notate swing, such as alternating dotted 8ths and
16ths, but the swing groove is highly individual and is modified in context in
the bandstand.

My solution is to write straight 8s and note "swing" somewhere on the lead
sheet (this may apply to the whole score or only to a section).