Lilypond-book and TeXshop on Mac: Newbie questions

From: Dona Mommsen
Subject: Lilypond-book and TeXshop on Mac: Newbie questions
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:13:17 +0200

Hi,

I'm an occasional user of Lilypond and so far, I've created only smaller
examples. I'm neither an experienced user with Latex, so bare with me.

I'm trying to use Lilypond-book (v.2.14.2) with TeXShop (v2.43) on Mac OS X
(v10.7.3).
The installation worked and I can run a small test-file:
1. I create a myfile.lytex in TexShop
2. I can run lilypond-book from the command line
3. I open the ./out/myfile.tex in TexShop and do the typesetting as I usually
would for a Latex file.

Sofar, myfile.lytex only calls lilypond-files with snippets.

Here are my first questions (sure more to follow…):
A. – I'm trying to simplify the usage. Ideally, I'd like to do the three steps
mentioned above in one call to the "typeset"-command in TeXShop. Is there a way
to do this?
– One reason I'd like to do this: When I change only some text in .lytex and
run lilypond-book, the file ./out/myfile.tex does not get updated because all
the lilypond-snippets are up to date. Any remedy to that in the command-line
usage of lilypond-book?

B. Layout question:
One of the files that I include has no page-size indications. It's basically a
big StaffGroup and the width fits on a A4 page with no problem.
When I include the same file within a .lytex file, it does not fit anymore; the
StaffGroup gets cut in the middle and is spread on 2 pages width.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dona