Re: parenthesizing arpeggios

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: parenthesizing arpeggios
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:57:10 -0500

Hi Urs,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear listers,

I thought it should be simple and straightforward, but I don't understand how to put an arpeggio in brackets.
If I use this code I only get a very small parenthesis:

\version "2.15.36"
\relative c' {
 %\once \override ParenthesesItem #'font-size = #6
 <c g' e'>-\parenthesize \arpeggio
}

If I use the (commented out) override, I get a much bigger parenthesis but this doesn't work at all, because it is too wide and round.
Is there a possibility to put brackets around objects and let the brackets adapt to the height of the objects (like spanners)?

Here's something that works for arpeggios.  The attached file is a bit large because I needed to include several functions from stencil.scm to draw the parentheses.   (I included parenthesize-stencil, commented out, so you can see what the numbers in my override refer to.)

The override of 'before-line-breaking is necessary for horizontal spacing.

Sorry I don't have a simple solution involving ParenthesesItem.  Perhaps someone else will have an idea.

Best,
David