Re:Dynamic context that can follow system breaks?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re:Dynamic context that can follow system breaks?
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:44:41 +0800

> > At Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:29:14 +0800,
> > James Harkins wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm sure somebody has had to do this before: place dynamics under a staff
> >> so that all the dynamics in one system are the same distance below the
> >> staff, but that distance can be different from one system to the next.
> >>

> probably a case for vertical spacing:
>
> \new Dynamics {
>       \override VerticalAxisGroup #'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing
>       = #'((basic-distance . 1)(minimum-distance . 1)(stretchability . 20)
> (padding . 0))
> ?

Actually, this doesn't help in 2.14.2 -- same result with this:

\version "2.14.2"
\include "english.ly"

notes = { f16 g a b c b a g }

\new Staff {
  <<
    \new Dynamics {
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
#'((basic-distance . 1) (minimum-distance . 1) (stretchability . 20) (padding .
0))
      <<
        { s1\p }
        { \repeat unfold 5 { s2\< s2\> } s2\< s4..\> s16\! }

    }
    {
      \repeat unfold 6 \relative c' \notes
      \repeat unfold 6 \relative c \notes

But, in my actual score, I think there is something else happening. For a long
section of it, the dynamics are quite well below even the lowest marking in the
staff -- and then, suddenly, at the end of the page, the space closes up again.
So I think my next step is to start taking things out of the score until I
don't see this odd behavior.

I already did some troubleshooting on it. I found a few dynamics from the note
expressions that I hadn't removed, and I thought those might have created
additional dynamics contexts which would have made extra vertical space, but
after cleaning up all of those, the problem persisted. So, time for exploratory
surgery (when I have time, maybe not in the next couple of days).

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
address@hidden