Re: Dynamic context that can follow system breaks?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Dynamic context that can follow system breaks?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:55:45 +0800

At Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:29:14 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:

> I'm sure somebody has had to do this before: place dynamics under a staff so
> that all the dynamics in one system are the same distance below the staff,
> but that distance can be different from one system to the next.
>
> At first, I attached the dynamics directly to the notes and found that the
> dynamics were jumping up and down within the same system. So I tried a few
> local \new Dynamics-es, liked what I was seeing, and then decided to replace
> all dynamics in that staff with a \new Dynamics covering the entire duration.
>
> Now the dynamics are all at the same height, which looks more orderly than
> before, but it seems that the dynamics context determined the smallest
> distance that would prevent a collision against the lowest note in the entire
> passage, and then applied that distance to all of the dynamics.

Small (perhaps not truly minimal, but small) example to demonstrate:

\version "2.14.2"
\include "english.ly"

notes = { f16 g a b c b a g }

\new Staff {
  <<
    \new Dynamics {
      <<
        { s1\p }
        { \repeat unfold 5 { s2\< s2\> } s2\< s4..\> s16\! }

    }
    {
      \repeat unfold 6 \relative c' \notes
      \repeat unfold 6 \relative c \notes

3 systems:

1. Dynamics are too far below the staff.

2. Could *maybe* move the dynamics up in the first bar, but it's reasonable to
have both hairpin pairs at the same height.

3. OK.

Advice? I guess I can make a series of dynamics contexts, breaking where the
register changes, but... seems rather onerous, e.g.

<<
  {
    \new Dynamics { ... for higher register music ... }
    \new Dynamics { ... switches to lower register ... }
  }
  \relative c'' { ... the notes ... }

Thanks,
James