Re: Automatic beaming in melismas

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Automatic beaming in melismas
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:44:51 -0000

Kieren MacMillan wrote Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:50 PM

------------
Here's my opinion:

1. The default auto-beaming should produce scores which represent the current best practice in the engraving industry, which is to ignore lyrics (inside and outside melismas) and beam as if it were instrumental music.

2. \autoBeamOff should mean exactly that — no automatic beaming (inside or outside a melisma) — or the command could be confusing.

3. In order to achieve "old" (e.g., 19th Century Novello) conventions, there should be an *additional* or *different* switch that needs to be "turned on" by the user, e.g. \vocalBeaming.

It sounds to me like your solution would satisfy #1, but break #2.
Wouldn't #3 be acceptable to both of us, and less confusing all around (e.g., to new users)?

I'm with Kieren on this - default should remain the current best practice for vocal
scores, with an optional switch or switches for anything different.

Trevor