Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:31:47 +0100

2012/3/10  <address@hidden>:
> FreeBSD users who wish to test the recently-released 2.15.33
> candidate may download an ad-hoc port from:

Now I think understand the whole point of this alternative form of
distribution. Every fan of an OS or distribution is also a fan of its
package type. Windows users prefer double-clicking on setup.exe.
Debian users prefer .deb which they install with dpkg, apt-get, gdebi
or whatever.  If, as an Ubuntu user myself, a download page offers me
several alternatives, I'll choose .deb package if there is one. Even
better if a source line I can configure does make the package to
update automatically and be fully integrated with the software chooser
of my system.

Development releases of LilyPond, however, are different: it's
immediate to run a sh installer and to install with a specific
command. Distributions are usually rather slow at packaging, and they
prefer stable versions. Also, lilypond usually comes along with a
whole LaTeX install, which is excessive. That said, if we could offer
standard packages for distros, they will be very appreciated by the
community.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com