Re: Feathered beams: More than one beam at the end?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Feathered beams: More than one beam at the end?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:03:42 +0100

Hi,

2012/3/11 address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> On Mar 11, 2012, at 9:04 AM, James Harkins wrote:
>
>> Another question -- is there any way to make the narrow end of a feathered
>> beam show more than one beam? That is, as far as I can see, the beams taper
>> down to one point (as in this code snip) but the documentation doesn't show
>> any way to specify the number of beams you want at the end.
>>
>> \version "2.14.2"
>> \include "english.ly"
>>
>> %     \override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT
>> %     % revert to non-feathered beams
>> %     \override Beam #'grow-direction = #'()
>>
>> \relative c'' {
>>  \key d \major
>>  \numericTimeSignature
>>  r16
>>  \override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT
>>  \scaleDurations #'(2 . 1) { e32 [ e e e e e e ] }
>>  \override Beam #'grow-direction = #'()
>>  e16 e e4.
>> }
>>
>> In this example, I'd like to indicate that the note duration at the end of
>> the feathered bit should be a 16th note (and the performed rhythm would
>> merge smoothly with the metered notes following). As shown, it kind of looks
>> like the notes should slow down to roughly an eighth note, and then the next
>> 16th notes would be played faster. Not the intent.
>>
>> Writing by hand, I might start the feathered part with 32nd notes and merge
>> two of the beams down into one, leaving 16th notes at the end.
>>
>> If it's impossible, I'll work around it with some explanatory text. Maybe a
>> viable feature request?
>>

> 'tis a viable feature request.
>
> Han-Wen and I had kicked this idea around last year: I think all the code is
> there in beam.cc : it's just a question of someone reading it, understanding
> (or re-understanding) it, adding a few lines and creating a property.
>
> Cheers,
> MS

last year I created a work-around to make feathered beams more variable.
Thanks again to David Nalesnik for his great help.
->
http://old.nabble.com/Making-feathered-beams-more-variable-td32705102.html#a32790344

It would be wonderful, if an extenion of 'grow-direction could be
implemented as default-possibility.

For now I extended my work-around to show 1 or 2 beams at their meeting point.

Please note:
The meeting-point depends on counting the stems. First stem takes number 0.
But if you use exact integers for the first or last stem the function
falls back to default 'grow-direction.
So use 0.0001 for the first stem or 5.999 for the last stem (if there 7 stems).

With the second argument you can force one or two beams.

Also provided:
A function by David Nalesnik improving default-featherDurations:
featherDurationsTest
And some functions to manipulate stems (sometimes needed for kneed
Beams), simply named \xy and \xyOut.

(Most of the large test is commented.)

HTH,
  Harm