address@hidden: Re: Floating markup / Markup takes too much space]

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: address@hidden: Re: Floating markup / Markup takes too much space]
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:22:21 +0100

Only sent to Phil again yesterday. Now to you all.

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 01:37:50PM -0000, Phil Holmes wrote:

> Dear list
>
> I am trying something new; I want to include a logo in my copyright line. I
> have here a one-page sheet consisting of a score and a markup block which
> contains the text for verses 2 to 4.
>
> Now according to annotate-spacing, I have 11.13pt of space left. The image
> in the screenshot was included with the command
> \epsfile #Y #6 #"inc/filename.eps"
>
> But even if I increase the image's height from 6 to a mere 7, the markup
> above is pushed to a second page.
> [...]
> There have been a _lot_ of changes in the spacing calculations between the
> version you're using and current stable, which is 2.14.2.  I suggest trying
> with 2.14 and letting us know if the problems remain.

Thanks for your answers. I was beginning to fear my questions became either too
specific, too mundane or were dealt with many a time before, so you just
didn't bother. :)

Anyway, The canon of your answers is to upgrade -- and I agree. A version push
request has been in the Gentoo bug tracker for ages now. I added a comment
there that 2.16 is about to come out (as I recently read here).

Back to topic: I built 2.14 from source which was easy thanks to Gentoo's
infrastructure. Indeed I can enlarge the logo nicely with it, and I don't even
have any big side effects, because it is a simple one-page piece. And I really
like the new default vertical spacing, especially concerning lyrics.

Most of my pieces are 2 or more pages, then also including a titlepage.
Converting those will be a bigger endeavour. But I'm looking forward to the
benefits of the improved layout engine.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

What do you call a fly without wings? - A walk.