Re: The LilyPond Report #24 has been released

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: The LilyPond Report #24 has been released
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:42:00 +0100

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Christophe Poncy <address@hidden> wrote:
> In my humble opinion, it could be extremely valuable to publish those news
> on Wikinews. I am not sure it is allowed by the Wikinews project however,
> but this could be an opportunity for some to translate the content in the
> French Wikinews, and many others...

Greetings,

I'm not familiar with Wikinews enough to know what qualifies as
"newsworthy" to them. Whilst there *are* some pieces of news in the
LilyPond Report (upcoming development, new tools and methods), it
hardly is of interest to anyone _not_ using LilyPond.

I have, however, submitted it on LXer which is a more
technically-oriented news feed:

There also have been talks of slashdotting the LilyReport but, then
again, I'm not familiar enough with the /. community to judge.

> More broadly, my feeling is that GNU hackers should use the Wikimedia
> projects, wikibooks for the manuals for example...

There *has* been a Wikibook pertaining to LilyPond (at least in
French); however since most of the documentation works happen within
the LilyPond community, it makes sense to use our own tools and
websites rather than having to move elsewhere where we wouldn't be
entirely in control.

If _you_ want to add material to a Wikibook or a Wikinews article,
feel free to do so; but I doubt there will be many people to help you.
Our best bet is to point anybody interested in LilyPond towards our
official website and mailing lists, where there's tons of
documentation and news.

James: there _is_ a review process on Wikimedia projects as well, even
if their workflow is quite different from ours. But I second your
other points.

Cheers,
Valentin.