Re: My own Figured Bass number set, where do I start?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: My own Figured Bass number set, where do I start?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:44:41 +0100

On 20/02/2012 14:18, Nils wrote:
> my pusblisher wants baroque figured bass gylphs. They have the strokes in
> different places than the Lilypond versions.
> I guess nobobdy did this so far, so I have to do it myself.

Yes, we have a feature request
(http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2042 ), but no one
has done any work on it.

> Where is the point in the code where I have to start? I want to do it right
> and use the same lilypond syntax like 4\+ or 6\\.

I suppose that the proper way would be to create new glyphs in our fonts
(using metafont, source file mf/feta-numbers.mf) and then adjust the
format-bass-figure function (in scm/translation-functions.scm) to use
those glyphs for the slashed figures.

You could of course try to modify format-bass-figure without touching
the fonts, but then it will always look like the figures in Robert
Kelly's table, where a + or a ` is stacked onto a normal digit, clearly
showing they are two different glyphs.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886