Leading Barline with Staff Size Increase

From: Mark Mathias
Subject: Leading Barline with Staff Size Increase
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:31:36 -0500

Greetings List,
This is my first post. Hope I've followed protocol.

If I follow the suggestion for increasing staff and symbol size, a leading bar line appears. I have tried a number of experiments to get rid of it, only to reinforce my ignorance of the inner workings of Lilypond.

\version "2.14.0"
\new Staff {
%Increasing the staff size and symbols results in a leading bar line.
  \set Staff.fontSize = #5
  \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep 5)
 \relative c' { d4 e fis e }

Perhaps I should post a 2nd time for another issue related to the blanks below the notes in the first line of music (see attachment)? I'd like them printed lower so that a student may write the note name in pencil on the blank line.  The suggested code in the Lilypond documentation doesn't seem to do anything no matter where I put it:
\override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-8 . 8)