Re: tempo in midi {}

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: tempo in midi {}
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:23:56 +0100

Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> If I want to specify a tempo in my midi but not in my printed score,
> the docs tell me to do something like this:
>
> \score {
>   ...music...
>   \midi {
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 72 4)
>     }
>   }
> }

Probably should be amended:

\score {
  ...music...
  \midi {
    \context {
      \Score
      \settingsFrom \tempo 4=72

will do the trick equally well.

> IMO this is an ugly construction for something basic like this.
> But I am getting equally satisfying results when I do a much more
> intuitive:
>
> \score {
>   \tempo 4=72
>   ...music..
>   \midi {}
> }
>
> and I put the layout {} in a separate \score, without the \tempo
> indication.
>
> What, if anything, is wrong with my method ? It works, I do it all the
> time.

And I see no reason why it shouldn't.  Not everybody likes a separate
score block for midi.

Of course, we have the usual caveat either way: graces right at the
start of the music will likely not be covered.  A context property does
not have that problem.

--
David Kastrup