Extender: stretch to end of note value and into repeat alternatives

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: Extender: stretch to end of note value and into repeat alternatives
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 04:48:30 +0100

Dear list

In the last two hours or so I've been reading up 800 unread mails, searched
the archive and the LSR. But I still have to bother you with this. :/

I'm trying to reproduce two songs which both make an unusually big use of
extenders.  Both are SATB choir pieces.  One has only one of the voices
singing, and the others accompany with hm __. In order to show that this
humming is continuous, it has lots of extenders all the way through, see
the attachment extender-mm.png for an example.

The other song does that too, albeit not so much in the face, see
parallel-extender.png. Of course I could always go with the modern style and
omit the extender for the whole note in this particular case, but I'd still
fancy reproducing the original, since the song is early renaissance.

Lastly, also found in the second one of those songs, I have an extender that
enters the alternatives of a volta repeat (alternative-extender.png). During
my catching up with the ML I already learned how to create ties in and out of
alternatives, but I couldn't find out anything about extenders.

The only thing I came up with so far is to switch the associated voice and use
invisible notes to artificially stretch the lines. But this would be rather
tedious, as
- the song uses it over the whole length,
- at some point in three voices at the same time, each at different ticks
- and I would have to deal with countless note clashes, which is a horror if
  you want a clean compile :)

May I ask for a little nudge here? Even a "no can do", so I can ease up a bit.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.

Two antennae got married. The wedding was OK, but the reception was great.