Re: file name LSR 197 (v2.12.0) run error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: file name LSR 197 (v2.12.0) run error
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:56:40 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> MING TSANG <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I run LSR 197 and got the following error message.  I don't know how
>>> to interpret the error message.  Can someone show me or make
>>> correction so that it will run on v2.15.29?
>>
>> That's the job of convert-ly.
>>
>>>   Thanks.
>>>
>>> <><><><><><><><> error message ><><><><
>>> % originally made for
>>> % \version "2.12.0"
>>
>> Give it an actual version header for 2.12.0 rather than an outcommented
>> one, then run
>>
>>     convert-ly -ed
>>
>> on it to convert the syntax to the current one.
>
> Actually, it turns out that convert-ly is not prepared to deal with the
> totally awkward ( function ... ) syntax.  Are there many snippets using
> this very un-Scheme-like formatting?

I have looked at python/convertrules.py: there are _lots_ of conversion
rules for functions, and almost none support this detached syntax.  So
it seems pointless to fix this just for the ly:export case.  Instead,
the LSR snippet should be changed to write things as customary, with
identifiers immediately following (.

It would appear that in the whole of LilyPond, the only file containing
the pattern "#( [a-z]" is
Documentation/snippets/chord-name-exceptions.ly, and it would likely
make sense to change that.

--
David Kastrup