Re: number of staff lines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: number of staff lines
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 12:04:41 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/2/7 Nils <address@hidden>:
>> I talked to a few persons in the university today and they all
>> agreed that the line on which a clef is is variable for any number
>> of lines.
>> But a clef should be never be in between lines, which is what Lilypond does.
>
> I've seen an engraving of Handel's Messiah in which tenors were
> notated using C clef placed between 3rd and 4th line.  Quite smart,
> i'd say, because C clef placed this way is equivalent to G clef
> transposed down an octave.
> I can find the link if you want.

The old clefs reminiscent of chant notation can sit IIRC on either lines
or in between.  The more modern clefs are rather fixed.  In practice,
anything but the C clef is not seen shifted vertically, and even the C
clef is only seen on anywhere but the middle line mainly in Baroque
music and earlier.

--
David Kastrup