Re: Ambitus after incipit

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Ambitus after incipit
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:20:59 +1100

On 6 February 2012 11:01, Bockett Hunter <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am doing an edition of some early music, so each voice
> has an "incipit", which is the start of the music in the old clef.
> (There is an example in A.5 Ancient Notation Templates.)
>
> I also wish to show the range of each voice.  When I add
>     \context {
>       \Voice
>       \consists "Ambitus_engraver"
>     }
> to the \layout, I get a range at the very beginning of each voice,
> and it is in the old clef.  That makes it hard for someone to
> glance at the score and see what various voice ranges are.
>
> What I would like is to have the voice range displayed
> after the incipit and before the modern clef, in the modern clef,
> Nothing I've tried works; I would appreciate help.

Look up Alma Redemptoris mater on this page:

http://www.uma.es/victoria/guerrero.html

Nancho Álvarez creates the incipits as a miniature one-line \score as
part of the \markup of the instrument name.

Though to save effort you could put "Originally notated a minor third
higher, in the following clefs: G2, C2, C3, F3. Note values have been
halved." at the bottom of the page :-)

Vaughan