Re: Tremolos between two whole notes

From: Brent Annable
Subject: Re: Tremolos between two whole notes
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 01:10:31 +0100

Xavier,

Ok thanks for the reply. Sorry if I'm talking about things already under discussion; I do my best, but still find it very difficult to sift through all the old stuff online to see if these issues are known or not. I've put the issues link in my bookmarks and I'll look there first from now on.

I suppose, since the issue is already known and I'm not a programmer, I just need to wait then?

Brent.

On 4 February 2012 00:44, Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote:
On 3 February 2012 17:00, Brent Annable <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question, and perhaps a suggestion. I just typeset the following
> tremolo between two whole notes:
>
> \score {
> \relative c'' {
>
> \repeat tremolo 16  { gis32 b }
>
> }
> }
>
> and was quite disappointed by the fact that Lilypond places the tremolo
> beams horizontally and above the notes in question. I much prefer the look
> of the first tremolo in this image:
>
> http://media.wiley.com/assets/25/94/0-7645-5105-1_1309.jpg
>
> with the beams tilted and occupying the space in-between the whole notes. I
> read through the manual and searched for some snippets, but couldn't find
> any reference to this tremolo style at all. Is there any relatively simple
> way of achieving this look that I'm missing? And if not, could a tremolo
> style option perhaps be added for those who prefer them this way?

You are not the first one to ask for this.
And IIRC there was quite a consensus on the fact that your suggestion
should actually be the default behaviour.

AFAICS this is tracked as issue #318
but as I said, there have been several discussions about this issue
(later than the initial report).  Maybe the last time this was discussed
was in a thread with Janek and his new tremolo styles?

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>