Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Roadblock MacOSX 10.4 for release of LilyPond 2.16
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 09:58:48 -0600

On Feb 3, 2012, at 4:56 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in the list of critical issues the recent issue 2271
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2271> is the
> only one I see without an obvious path forward.
>
> One serious option is ending the support for MacOSX 10.4.  If you are a
> user that would be affected by such a step, or a developer that would be
> interested in making this work again, you should step up as soon as
> possible.
>
> Without any such feedback, it is very likely that MacOSX 10.4 will get
> removed from the supported platforms.  Of course the decision rests with
> Graham, but short of anybody stepping up, I don't see that there would
> be all that much choice left to him.

Eventually legacy system support gets broken in every project.  PPC-based Mac
users (of which I am one, we have three PPC based Macs that continue to run
fine) mostly can update to 10.5.  For 10.4 users, I would recommend identifying
the most recent version of Lilypond that will run on that platform and
identifying it on the Web site.  This is a standard practice.