Re: Multiple notes over same lyric

From: mdspencer
Subject: Re: Multiple notes over same lyric
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:41:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chris,

I guess maybe I'm confused then. When I leave off the associated lyrics,
then the note spacing is compact, just like I wish. When I put the lyrics
in, they push over some notes, but the other note spaces are not changed.
Here's a quick example of what I mean:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\include "gregorian.ly"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
    \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
  }
  \context {
    \Voice
    \override Stem #'length = #0
  }
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
    timing = ##t
    barAlways = ##f

chant = {
  \clef treble \cadenzaOn \autoBeamOff
  g'( a' b') b'~ b'
}

chantLyrics = \lyricmode { Test -- ing }

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "chantVoice" \chant

}

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice = "chantVoice" \chant
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "chantVoice" { \chantLyrics }

}

The first score/staff has nice tight spacing. Once I add the lyrics, the
notes not associated with the lyric get pushed over.