Re: repeat

From: James
Subject: Re: repeat
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:52:11 +0000

Xavier,

On 25 January 2012 21:41, Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 25 January 2012 22:32, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> after the \partial measure notes use \bar "|:"
>>
>> \partial 4
>> c4
>> \bar "|:"
>> c d e f
>>
>> Is this what you want?
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-lines
>
> Hi James,
>
> The manual (in the section you mentioned) explicitly discourage to use
>  \bar "|:"  commands for repeats.
>
>  Although the bar line types signifying repeats may be inserted
>  manually they do not in themselves cause LilyPond to recognize a
>  repeated section. Such repeated sections are better entered using
>  the various repeat commands (see Repeats), which automatically print
>  the appropriate bar lines.

Yes I saw that and I always think 'so?'.

I assume (and there is no explanation so if anyone can enlighten me)
this is for things like midi? Actually I am struggling to think why
this would be such a problem. I've just set over 2,000 measures of
Schubert - 2 Trumpet Parts and 1 Clarinet plus some snippets of other
instruments - and there are lots of repeated sections with a |: ....
:|

To have to use anything but \bar "|:" would be incredibly tedious. It
didn't cause me any problems and in fact when I used \bar ":|:" when
it fell at the end of a line break I was happy to see that LP 'did the
right thing' and printed a :| and a |: on the two lines (at least I am
sure she did - I'm too tired to check).

So someone is going to have to convince me that \bar is bad.

;)

Night.

James