Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)

From: PMA
Subject: Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:31:07 -0500

Hayden Muhl wrote:

PMA-2 wrote:

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
But it seems that, to post on ISMLP/
WIMA, one *must* commit to public-domain-like status.

I would like, of course, to find a (major, well run) public archive
without such constraints.

Have you actually spoken to anyone over at IMSLP about this? IMSLP allows a
range of licenses for different purposes. I would not describe some of these
licenses as "public-domain-like". For example, I believe there is a license
that grants the free download and sharing of your score, but allows you to
retain rights to charge for commercial performance.

If you haven't already, I suggest posting in the IMSLP forums
(imslpforums.org) to see if there is a license suitable for your purposes.

- Hayden

Yes, I've sniffed & posted in IMSLP's site now -- enough to see
that my "public-domain-like status" fears were misconceived,
and to appreciate the gist of licenses being offered.  I tend to
expect that their 6th listed,

           Attribution + Non-commercial + No Derivatives

would do me just fine (provided I can overcome the guilt from
refusing to offer my works up as programmers' fodder  :)  ).