Re: MetronomeMarks and MultiMeasureRest spacing

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: MetronomeMarks and MultiMeasureRest spacing
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:41:42 +0000 (UTC)

Shevek <saul <at> saultobin.com> writes:

> I'm working on parts for a piece at the moment, and I ran into the problem of
> getting multi-measure rests to stretch to accommodate metronome markings
> [without stretching spacing between notes within a measure]

I admit that I use a poor solution, shifting the space reserved for the
tempo marking up by one staff space.  In addition to what you have already,
  \override MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-height = #'(1 . 1)
Then the collision avoidance system thinks the notes can slide under the
tempo mark, but the bar lines cannot. This might not work in version 2.16.

For a better solution, I suggest you search the mailing list archives
for "MarkLine"
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-06/msg00159.html
The details of this solution seem to need updating to work with the current
version of LilyPond, but the concept should continue to work forever.