Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:48:00 +0100

PMA <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Hans.  As I (don't really) understand, ISMLP requires
> a contributor of copyrighted materials to agree to their being
> licensed *as* public domain.

That would be weird since several countries do not even have a concept
of "public domain" in their laws.  Personally, I would not release
significant creative work into the public domain since somebody else can
pick it up and create, legally, a proprietary work not giving any credit
(or royalty) to me and make a profit from denying the public exactly the
kind of access I wished to have granted it.

I might think about "public domain" for transcribing old works more or
less trivially, where the question is not as much one of skills but just
one of who does it when he needs it done.  In short, stuff where it
would be dubious anyway whether my work on them contained copyrightable
portions.

--
David Kastrup