Handel's Messiah -- question about finding which ly file runs the whole

From: mrmoo
Subject: Handel's Messiah -- question about finding which ly file runs the whole shebang
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:52:28 -0500

Hi, I'm new to the list, but an old casual dabbler in Lilypond.

I have been tasked with coming up with some arranged brass parts for a quartet
of 2 trumpets, trombone and tuba + organ for my church's Easter service.
I only need to do the Hallelujah chorus from Messiah, of course, and have
already succeeded in finding which individual .ly files have the notes I need
to change.

But before I do that, I thought I'd try a few dry runs on the source files as
bundled on Mutopiaproject.org, and am already getting error messages just
running the compile on the main.ly file.  They look like this:

\include
         "Haendel/Oratorio/Messiah/common.ily"
/Volumes/Untitled/Program
Files/Messiah-lys/Haendel/Oratorio/Messiah/main.ly:18:2: error: unknown escaped
string: `\part'

  \part "Part I"
/Volumes/Untitled/Program
Files/Messiah-lys/Haendel/Oratorio/Messiah/main.ly:18:2: error: syntax error,
unexpected STRING

It also seems to be choking on each of the various occurrences of the strings
\pieceTocTitle , \pieceToc , and \includeScore

and so it continues for many lines.  I do finally get an output PDF, but it
only contains "Messiah," "Table of Contents," "END OF THE FIRST PART" etc.

Is this a case of version mismatch?  All I can find so far is that the files
were posted to Mutopia in December of 2009.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.
-Mark