Re: vertical alignment & inversion of horizontal brackets

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: vertical alignment & inversion of horizontal brackets
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:35:29 +0100

On 12 January 2012 12:51, pls <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> today I tripped over a command for typesetting horizontal brackets
> (\[ \]) which doesn't seem to be covered in the manuals.
> (At least I didn't find it.)

Ligatures are covered in the notation reference manual, in the "Ancient
notation" section: NR 2.9.2 Ancient notation—common features > Ligatures
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/ancient-notation_002d_002dcommon-features.html#ligatures

> How can I invert and change the vertical alignment of these horizontal
> brackets? (I'd like to place them below the staff.)

  \override LigatureBracket #'direction = #DOWN

Ligatures should not be confused with "Analysis brackets", which is
maybe what you are actually looking for.  They are explained in
NR 1.7.2 Editorial annotations Outside the staff > Analysis brackets
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/outside-the-staff.html#analysis-brackets

Cheers,
Xavier

--