Re: Change color for some symbols in a sylable

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Change color for some symbols in a sylable
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:15:26 -0600

Hi Svetlana,

2012/1/10 Светлана <address@hidden>

Thank you, David, for this wonderful function. No mess in lyrics at all! But for my needs there should be a list of symbols, not just one (like coloring both "a" and "e" in your example). There is a list of about 20 symbols that should be always colored and it is constatnt.
I can program a bit, but scheme is a mystery to me yet. It seems that we could pass a list of arguments to your function and loop through it splitting and coloring all of them, but I can't make it in scheme. Could you help, please?

This is a fun problem, and I may be able to help depending on what exactly you need.  I'm not familiar with the notation system you're using, and I haven't been able to find other examples of this type of chant (Znamenny?) online which use staff notation and colorize the text below the staff.

Some questions which I have:
1. Are the symbols to be colored red always one character in length?  (If some are single and some multiple this will be a bit harder, and if some of these _share_ a character... oh my.)
2. Can the symbols appear anywhere in the word, or just at the beginning (as in your posted example)?
3. Is there only one red symbol per word?
4. Is this list of symbols unchanging from one chant to the next? If so, it would be helpful to provide the list.

If you have more examples, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,
David