Re: Lyrics and polyphony

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Lyrics and polyphony
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:50:41 +0100

On 4 January 2012 23:32, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please see the Notation Reference, section 1.5.2.  In particular, look at
> Temporary polyphonic passages.

This problem pops up often.  I remember having replied to dozens of e-mails
—both on the French users mailing list and on lilypond-user— from
confused users about this.  This is indeed explained in the notation
reference that

  "[The << {...} \\ {...} >> construct] behaves differently to the
  similar construct without the double backslashes: all the expressions
  within this construct are assigned to new Voice contexts."

but could it be added that this implies the (dynamic) spanners, lyrics
associated to voice, etc. cannot be used from outside to inside the
<< {...} \\ {...} >> construct (and vice versa)?
And would it be possible to put a "warning box" or so around this?
Maybe we could add also a similar warning in the learning manual,
LM 3.2.1 I’m hearing Voices.

What do you think?  James?

Of course the best would be to "solve" issue #1316 …

Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>