Lyrics and polyphony

From: Benjamin Bruce
Subject: Lyrics and polyphony
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:28:35 +0000 (UTC)

{
        <c' a>4 <e' c'> <g' e'> <b' g'> << { b'1 } \\ { g'4( f' e'2) } >>
}
\addlyrics {
        Ex -- cel -- lent Thy name! % The last word does not appear
}

Hello all!
I have a question concerning lyrics and polyphony. I have looked through the
Snippet Repository, but came up with nothing.

The music I am typesetting is four-part harmony, and for the most part each part
has the same note durations, and entering them as chords makes sense. However,
in a few places they differ, and while I have figured out how to make the notes
look correctly within angle brackets << >> (see above) the lyrics will not stick
to this part of the music (I guess because I made a new context). Is there a way
to have the lyrics work with this setup? Or perhaps is there an altogether
different way I should go about this?

Thanks!