Re: modifying chordNameSeparator behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: modifying chordNameSeparator behavior
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:59:52 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> And especially, since you care about the chord display problem, you
> have a specific reason to move to 2.15.22.
>
> Just recognize that you are moving to a development version that is
> potentially unstable (but I know of no instabilities).

My usual experience with using development versions of various pieces of
software I frequently use is that they are, after you had a suitable
distance (depending on the pace of development and the release cycles)
to the last stable release, more reliable and fun to work with as long
as you frequently update them.

The quality at some point starts to be better than that of the last
stable version.  It is less consistent, however: you might pick a lemon
that warrants another update (or downgrade) soon.  So if you are
planning on doing just one update per year, the last stable version
might be a good bet.  If frequent updates don't scare you, tracking the
last development release or even the current development source
habitually can be rewarding.  Also you tend to know better about what
changes important to you end up in the next stable version if you don't
let yourself be surprised by all changes at once.

And of course, it is more rewarding if you tend to strain Lilypond's
capacities that you often get problems fixed in a reasonable time frame
after your initial report.  And if you dislike a particular change for a
good reason, you'll get to see it sooner and can protest more
effectively.

--
David Kastrup