Re: duration and pitch in a function

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: duration and pitch in a function
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 10:58:32 +0100

Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello David,
> thank you for this detailed answer!
> Well, I don't agree in doing an awkward thing, using 2.14.

Duration arguments in Lilypond 2.14 are awkward without you being at
fault.  There is a reason even a very simple command like \skip had to
be implemented in the parser in 2.14 rather than as a straightforward
music function.

> But I probably should not name shortcuts extensions.

There is no sharp line between them.

> But you are absolutely right, saying that creating or developing new
> features should be done in a development environment. And the changes
> you named are again great improvements of the sharp knife lilypond!  I
> just downloaded 2.15.21, to see what happens with my work and what
> needs to be done for that.

Basically, not much more than final tweaks (the kind of thing you need
to redo across the affected pages when adding a single forgotten
measure) should be affected once you run convert-ly.

> I sometimes did a user-devel-mashup ... I shouldn't disturb
> development with issues of the stable version. Sorry for that,
> list-members!

This is the user list, so it is not like you are being off-topic.  But
my current work is focused on usability and the programming and
extension facilities of Lilypond, and thus the "I will update from 2.12
when Ubuntu does" stance means that there is a time lag of several years
between the time I fix a shortcoming to the time users actually start
looking at it.  That time span is far too long for any kind of useful
feedback.  Including bug reports, donations and work for hire.  If the
feedback loop is longer than that for interstellar travel, there is no
way that development can be user-driven.

So "getting the message out" is important to me.  I am also currently in
discussions for getting the dormant Lilypond Report revived soonish.

It would be a pity if the reason for excitement has long ceased existing
by the time the excitement arrives at its target, the user base.

All the best

--
David Kastrup