Re: Where to put user ly files on OSX?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Where to put user ly files on OSX?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:04:01 +0100

On 7 Dec 2011, at 20:38, Matthew Collett wrote:

> It does seem odd that LilyPond currently has no standard paths for
> installation-specific includes: I would have expected at least one
> system-wide one (somewhere in /usr/local or /usr/share on a generic UNIX, ...

It should be in /usr/local/ -- the stuff in /usr/ without that belongs to the
system installation, and should normally not be changed. OS X 10.7 knows the
difference, so that /usr/local/ is copied over when importing files from a
backup.

And include/ is for system specific files, whereas share/ is for system
independent files. So both might be used. Candidates
  /usr/local/include/lilypond/
  /use/local/share/lilypond/
or something.

> somewhere in /Library on OS X) and one user-specific one (somewhere in
> ~/Library on OS X).

I think of this as the application version of ~/.<name> files. In OS X 10.7,
~/Library is invisible in the GUI.

Hans