Format of short repeats varies in strange manner

From: Peter Gentry
Subject: Format of short repeats varies in strange manner
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 11:54:38 -0000

This is my first venture into LilyPond so please bear with me if the question highlights my ignorance rather than a problem with the code.

 I have attached a short snippet to illustrate my problem concerning short repeats.

The vertical placing of the mark(s) between two repeated notes varies in a way I cannot understand and is different from the manual example which is also included.

(I have also found it impossible to place the trill mark higher up away from the stave.)

In general I am hamstrung by my lack of a programmers manual that species the syntax of all the various different engraver objects – is such a thing available anywhere?

regards
Peter Gentry