Re: grace note synchronization

From: Helge Hafting
Subject: Re: grace note synchronization
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:26:58 +0100

On 03. aug. 2011 17:08, Xavier Scheuer wrote:
On 3 August 2011 15:34, Urs Liska<address@hidden>  wrote:
[...]

AFAIK you need to add a corresponding skip graces to _every voice_ in
_every staff_.

I wish lilypond could be changed, so this wouldn't be necessary.

It is a *pain* when there are lots of grace notes, and 3 or more voices. Especially when two voices have grace notes of different lengths but in the same place.

And sometimes no tricks work, for example if the very first note has a grace note. Adding a silent bar first is a workaround, but not what I want.

A grace note is supposed to steal some time from the note it is
attached to, so it is not supposed to change the timing at all.

Consider this:
A piece for piano and violin. So there are 3 voices. I want to be
able to print separate scores as well as a combined sheet, so
timing changes and repeats goes into every voice. (Not necessary for the
combined works, but needed so I can print just one voice too.)

Every grace note will then need grace skips in the other voices,
unless the others happens to have a grace note of the same length too.
The work with grace notes is tripled. It is so easy to miss a grace skip
somewhere, and then timing changes print twice, or other ugly, wrong oddities appear.

It'd be so much better if this simply wasn't necessary.

Helge Hafting