Re: Vowel with Umlaut

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: Vowel with Umlaut
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 06:34:18 +0100

Graeme

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM, GRAEME F ST CLAIR
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to include an o-umlaut in the header, so:-
>
> \header {
>  title = "Blah Blah"
>  poet = "Words: Aloysius Schlör"
>
> but all I get is "Schlr" with some error msgs, s

I use this method

poet = \markup { \concat { "Words: Aloysius Schl" \char ##x00f6 "r" } }

Like you I just use any old text editor and a few different OSes and
cannot be bothered to remember what each key stroke combination is or
if my editor-of-the-day is UTF capable/compatible. So this method
works for me across them all.

As to how do I know what the \char value is?

I just use this website

http://www.utf8-chartable.de/

It can get a bit fiddly knowing where to put the \concat command (if
you don't have this command you will get spaces between each of the
three 'strings'), so when I used an explicit font and fontsize the
markup gets a bit more complex

i.e.

composer = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "Optima") \abs-fontsize
#8 { \concat { "Georg Friedrich H" \char ##x00E4 "ndel (1685 - 1759)"
} } }

Hope this helps.

Regards

James