Re: .bin files in Lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: .bin files in Lilypond
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 22:11:57 +0100

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:43:33PM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> 2011/10/10 Frits Verhaeghe <address@hidden>:
> > As a new user of Lilypond, I received from another user some .bin-files. How
> > can I open this .bin-files?
>
> Those .bin files were produced by lilypond? That's very strange if
> it's true.  LilyPond documents are plain text and human readable.  I
> am willing to receive sucha bin file by private email and I'll try to
> analyze it a bit.

One of the mailing list archives (I think it's the official gnu
one) gives attachments as files like abdfeu482.bin instead of the
original filename.  No clue why.  The actual contents of the files
are unchanged, so opening them up in a text editor reveals typical
lilypond input text.

It's possible that Frits got these files that way.

Cheers,
- Graham