Standard for instrument names and their abbreviations

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Standard for instrument names and their abbreviations
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 21:34:01 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently writing several orchestral scores and I'm looking for
a reference (book?) for standard instrument names and their
abbreviations.  The first google results do not give the same results.

For example, what is the standard abbreviation for "Violin II"?
"V II", "V.II", "Vl II", "Vl.II", "Vn II", "Vn.II", "Vln II", "Vln.II"?
"V 2", "V.2", "Vl 2", "Vl.2", "Vn 2", "Vn.2", "Vln 2", "Vln.2"?

I'm asking for both the full name (ideally of all the instruments of
a symphonic orchestra) and their abbreviations (aka "short instrument
names").  Is it the same abbreviation that should be used for cue
voices (\cueDuring )?  In this case should we use a capital or not?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Xavier

--